Schedule of Events for the 16th Annual (2014)
Wednesday, May 14
Orange Beach Billfish Classic
Registration at The Wharf
6:00 p.m. - VIP Reception for Sponsors, Owners and Guests
7:00 p.m. - Captain's Meeting. Mandatory Sign In for Owner or Captain.
7:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. - Tournament Kickoff Party, sponsored by Saunders Yachtworks, Dog River Marina, Middleton Marine
Thursday, May 15
12 Noon - Boats may leave the dock; Fishing Commences
Friday, May 16
7:00-10:00 p.m. - Weigh in at The Wharf
Saturday, May 17
6:00-10:00 p.m. - Weigh in at The Wharf
Sunday, May 18
9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. - Tournament Awards Brunch, sponsored by Saunders Yachtworks
Orange Beach Billfish Classic Tournament Rules
1. Fishing hours are continuous beginning at 12 Noon on Thursday, May 15th. Boats must clear the Perdido Bridge and or in Sailboat Bay in Bon Secour by 7 p.m. on Saturday in order to weigh in. Please monitor VHF channel 72 when departing and returning to tournament headquarters.
2. The tournament weigh in location will be at The Wharf Marina. Hours of operation will be Friday, May 16 from 7-10 p.m. and Saturday, May 17 from 6-10 p.m. Monitor VHF channel 72 for docking instructions.
3. Fish eligible for tournament awards will be: Billfish Catch and Release, Blue Marlin (103" minimum), Tuna, Dolphin and Wahoo. Spearfish are included in Billfish Catch and Release. Swordfish are not an eligible tournament species. In the Billfish Catch and Release Division, Blue Marlin will be scored at 500 points per release; white marlin, sailfish and spearfish will each be scored at 200 points per release.
4. Participants agree to compete in the spirit of IGFA rules. Note: Rod may be transferred (handed off) one time within the first minute of the fight.
5. A color video must be presented to confirm all Tag & Release submissions. The video must clearly show the species of the fish, the angler fighting the fish, the release of the fish, the tournament designator (which will be presented at registration) and the GPS date and time of release. ALL of these conditions must be met to receive Billfish Release points.
6. In case of a tie in weight, the first fish to be weighed in wins. Fish must be brought to the weigh dock aboard the boat that landed the fish. Frozen fish will not be accepted.
7. There may not be any pooling of the catch, or transfer of the catch, from one boat to another. Substitution of boats prior to the start of the tournament must have clearance from the OBBC Tournament Committee.
8. All boats are responsible for their fish, the proper reporting documentation, confirmation in the Release category and the submission of any State Record applications.
9. In the event of inclement weather on Friday, May 16, or Saturday, May 17 then Sunday, May 18, 2013 will be used to complete the Tournament. One day of fishing constitutes a Tournament. If it is necessary to reschedule the Tournament, a new date will be set.
10. In the event that no eligible blue marlin (103" minimum) are weighed in, the tournament cash awards for that category will be added to the Catch and Release awards in the same proportion. If there are only two billfish released, then the release award will be split 60/40 between First and Second Place. If only one billfish is released then that team will win all categories.
11. The Blue Marlin (103" minimum) and Billfish Catch and Release Awards will equally split the Tournament prize money, which will be distributed on a 50/30/20 percent basis to the First, Second and Third Place finishers. Based on a field of 50 paid entries, this would result in the First Place categories in the Blue Marlin (103" minimum) and Catch and Release Divisions each worth $62,500; Second Place worth $37,500 and Third Place, $25,000. The tournament will be capped at 50 paid entries.
12. There will be Optional Jackpots for Blue Marlin (103" minimum), Billfish Tag and Release, Tuna, Dolphin and Wahoo in the amounts of $500, $1,000, $2,500 and $5,000. In addition, there will be a $10,000 "Winner Take All" division for Blue Marlin and Billfish Tag and Release. The Tournament retains 10 percent of all funds in the Optional Jackpot divisions, five percent of which will be donated to conservation through The Billfish Foundation and CCA-Alabama.
13. The 2014 Rules Committee members will be Johnny Dorland, Davis McPhillips, Manning McPhillips, Tim Jones, Travis Dorland, Richard Alexander, Scott Burt and Chris Miller. The Honorary Conservation Hostess will be Ellen Peel, President of The Billfish Foundation.
14. The Orange Beach Billfish Classic is an honor system tournament; each entry will be responsible for their team and crew's performance. Should anyone have a complaint of any nature, it must be submitted in writing with the Tournament Committee at least 30 minutes prior to the close of the weigh-in on Saturday. ANY PRIZE WINNER MAY BE SUBJECTED TO A POLYGRAPH TEST. All decisions rendered by the Tournament Committee shall be final and binding.
15. RELEASE OF ALL CLAIMS: This section must be carefully read by each Participant.
In consideration for being accepted by the Tournament Organizers for participation in the Orange Beach Billfish Classic, the Participants hereby release, forever discharge, and agree to hold harmless the Tournament Committee, Sponsors, OBBC, LLC, The Wharf Entertainment Properties, LLC, Coastal Marina Management, LLC and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, volunteers, partners, members, and/or attorneys for any and all losses, claims, or demands of any kind or character whatsoever arising from the negligence or gross negligence of the Releases or from any other cause connected with or occurring during the Tournament. The Participants expressly acknowledge that he/she has received, reviewed, and agrees to abide by the Tournament Rules and this Release. Furthermore, the Participants expressly acknowledge that activities relating to deep sea fishing are extremely dangerous and involve the risk of serious injury or death. Having so acknowledged, the Participants hereby assume full responsibility for the risk of bodily injury or death due to the negligence or gross negligence of the Releases or any other cause connected with or occurring during the Tournament.
16. BINDING ARBITRATION: In the event the Tournament Organizers/Rules Committee cannot render or refuses to render a final and binding decision with respect to any dispute, protest, claim, difference, or controversy under review, the matter shall be resolved by binding arbitration under the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. The decision rendered in arbitration shall be in writing and shall be final and binding upon all parties. The parties shall have no further recourse, except as provided for by the commercial rules of the American Arbitration Association. Once the decision is rendered, it will produce the effect of "redudicata" and the parties shall fully comply with the decision without delay. The Participants specifically waive any right to a trial by judge or jury.